Strategies to Support Students in Math “Conferencing on the Big Ideas” Part 2
5 June 2017
8:45 am to 3:30 pm
$75.00 per person OR $75.00 per group member
(Note: includes lunch and refreshments)
Grade: Grades 4-6,Grades 7-9,Kindergarten - Grade 3,Kindergarten - Grade 6
Lethbridge (Holy Spirit PD Centre - 3rd Floor)
620 12 Street B North
Course Code: SA6LO83a
Registration closing date:
02 June 2017 - 12:00 pm
The way we question, celebrate and support children has a dramatic effect on the way they feel about mathematics and what they learn.
The session will focus on:
- Identify what the “Big Ideas” are in math and explore ways to integrate them throughout your math program
- Learn how to question effectively
- Review the landscape of learning comprised of the big ideas, strategies, and models as a framework for use when conferring.
- Study exemplary teachers as they engage in conferring with children during math workshop and analyze their decision-making
- Observe Cathy conferring and engage in role-playing of conferrals to become a more competent facilitator of learning.
- Help children feel like “real mathematicians” at work
- Analyze the use of various models as tools for representation and learn how to encourage children to use them as tools.
Cathy Fosnot is the author of over 20 books on math education and the Founding Director of Mathematics in the City (MitC), a national center for professional development at The City College of New York.
Grades 1-8 Teachers and Administrators